Monday, November 28, 2011

Big Idea Book

I chose to use Individuality as my big idea
For my first image I chose to use a lot of little hands with a large hand on top of them to emphasize the importance of the individual in a world of individuals.  For my statement, I chose a phrase my mother has been saying to me since I was a little girl.  "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind" -Dr. Suess

Alison chose to create an three dimensional image, individually crafted.  She defined individuality saying "Certain defects are necessary for the existence of individuality" Her statement impacted me because I have always thought of individuality as being a positive thing, and never thought of it as being a "defect" which I don't generally see as positive.  However, It made me consider that things that some people think are "defects" about their selves as individuals are truly the things that make them special.  Even if they see it as a "defect" there's someone in the world who thinks it's beautiful and it's important to see you own personal "defects" as beauty.
Ashley also chose to use materials in her image to define individuality.  Her quote said "Today you are you, that is truer than true.  There is no one alive who is youer than you" by Dr. Suess.  The quote impacted me because I found it ironic that she chose to use a Dr. Suess quote as well, perhaps not knowing that my personal quote was by the same man.  It proved to me that we as individuals are more similar than we suspect or realize.  It also built on Alison's idea of accepting yourself, because there is no one else like you.
For my last image I decided to use material objects to express my idea, like Alison and Ashley to follow through with the idea that we as individuals are different, but can also have similarities if we look thorough enough.  I chose to use a quote by Steve Jobs, that once again my mother told me. "Here's to the crazy ones.  The misfits.  The rebels.  The troublemakers.  The round pegs in the square holes.  The ones who see things differently.  They're not fond of rules.  And they have no respect for the status quo.  You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them.  About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  It proves the individual to be just as important as we the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment