My journey actually began here at Mizzou. While I was in the womb, my mom was taking art classes here at the university. I was born a month before my mom graduated from Mizzou with a degree in early childhood education. Less than a year later, my dad had the opportunity to work for the conservation department in Cape Girardeau, so my journey quickly moved to the boot heel.
I was always fond of the arts but my enthusiasm really became apparent when I began attending school.
I remember being in first grade and having the opportunity to work with clay to make small bowls in my art class. I stayed in during my recess to work in the art classroom making my bowl heart shaped. After that, I spent most of my recesses in the art classroom. My teacher, Ms. Sharon Williams had a huge impact on me. I became very acquainted with her after spending years in her classroom during recess and after school. I often went home with her in the afternoons until my mom could pick me up.
My mom said she thought I just liked Ms. Williams a lot, but when I got to high school it became apparent that it was not just Ms. Williams but the art that I enjoyed and I quickly formed the same kind of relationship with my high school art teacher.
Since coming to Mizzou I have had many art opportunities. I decided to dual major in both Art Education and Fine Arts and I hope to graduate with my BFA and teaching degree hopefully within the next year or so. I also lived in Italy for a month this past summer, studying painting with the Art department. I have also had many teaching opportunities because I am currently employed at the Craft Studio on campus. I've taught classes in the past and am currently teaching the free crafternoons on Fridays. I'm sure the next few years will provide me with many more teaching and art opportunities. I left a few blank cards in my map box for such occasions.
No comments:
Post a Comment