Sunday, October 16, 2011

Why Teach Art?

Art has always been an important aspect in my life and for as long as I can remember I wanted to be an art teacher.  However, when I came to college my plans changed slightly.  I took a year off from the education department and pursued a bachelors in Fine Arts.  A large part of succeess when dealing with the arts is having a "big idea" or concept to build a body of work from.  In search for my big idea I began looking into the dealings of my classmates.  I came to the realization that most of the arts students began their schooling pursuing other areas like English or Biology, but found the arts as a better way of dealing with their subject matter. I must admit it was a bit discouraging, since I came into school with a strong interest in art and a lack of attraction to most other areas.  Yet, it was at that point that I realized all there is to learn from the arts.  When students look at art history there is so much to learn from artist's conceptual big idea's. No matter what the subject matter, you can literally find an artist's work who pertains to it.  Any subject matter can be displayed visually and sometimes understood more as a result.  I know from personal experience that there is much to be learned through the arts.  I've learned a lot about different subjects from looking at art, and a lot about myself from making art.  At first I felt I had a disadvantage from having no prior content interests, but now I feel as though the opportunities are endless as I research and find out more about the subjects art deals in.  I also find Eisner's fourth point to be rather insightful when learning from as well as about the arts.  Surprise is not to be seen as an intruder in the process of inquiry, but as a part of the rewards one reaps when working artistically. Without surprise there is no discovery, and without discovery there is no progress.  Just as one discovers new points when learning about other school subjects, one can learn identical points when viewing art and discover so much more when making their own art.  Why teach art?  Because through teaching art I am teaching my students to look further into things and discover all there is to know about subjects taught in a school setting and in cognition.

4 comments:

  1. Your ideas are sound. How would you present them to the public? You could elaborate on Eisnet's ideas that you quoted about surprise as the genesis of progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met several agreeable points while reading yours. As you pointed out, I was also pursuing other area and it took a little bit long time for me to realize what I really want and why art is the basics of every subject matter. As you mentioned, I believe along with language, art is the most important discipline when studying any kinds of study.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Any subject matter can be displayed visually and sometimes understood more as a result." Understanding and being Understood. That is the goal of doing anything, isn't it? That is the driving force behind our day-to-day life, the key, the ignition, the battery, the engine, the wheel, the vehicle, the road, Everything.

    We are trapped in a world where language has taken over our ability to represent anything with it's proper meaning; words are not an adequate tool to describe anything, really - you cant describe a colour with absolute certainty, nor can you express an emotion. While visual arts are not entirely perfect either, particularly in terms of abstraction, they are a step in the right direction.

    -Christopher Lee Mayfield

    ReplyDelete